Bonneville Scrutineering Day

We lined up at the pre-staging area for our first run around 9am, but

just missed a batch and had to wait while the Run-what-you-brung (RWB)

bikes ran before we moved up to the Mile 0 start line.

At the line with us was the Salt Brothers team from Auckland who had

also been at Speed Week.

After a further wait for reverse runners and a few of our group, we

finally got to start our first run about 12:20. We planned for Eric to

do a quiet run as a shake-down, as the class we were running (partially

streamlined fuel) had no existing record so two clean runs would

guarantee us a record.

The run did indeed go cleanly, with a speed of 110.454mph, a lot less

than what the bike is capable of. Running in the midday heat is not

ideal, and 10 or more mph can be gained by running first thing in the

morning.

We went to the impound area and had the engine sealed (incorrectly, as

it turned out) and went back to the Mile 5 mark to await a return run.

While there Alastair fortunately noticed that the end had come off the

clutch cable. Luckily for us there had been an accident on the course (a

rider had broken his collarbone) so we had some time to effect repairs.

After much running around we found a blowtorch and solder, and managed

to replace the nipple on the handle end of the cable. The return runners

with us had started their runs as we made last-minute adjustments to the

clutch to get the bike running again.

We got a run of 116mph, for a 113mph record.

When we caught up with the bike in impound the first thing we noticed

was that one of the exhausts had fallen off. Then we realised that

almost everything on the bike was loose.

Eric reported that he had got a massive vibration during the measured

mile and had backed off, and one of the marshalls arrived at the impound

area carrying the missing portion of our exhaust.

As Al and Mick stripped the bike down they found we were missing an

engine mount bolt, which we reported to the officials as it was probably

lying on the course somewhere.

We are not sure exactly what the sequence of events was that led to the

vibration and the engine coming loose, but possibly the broken engine

mount bolt then led to everything coming loose.

We managed to get a replacement mount bolt from an Indian runner who

had got his record and wasn't planning on doing any more running -

exactly the same diameter and length as we required.

The broken chain guard and exhaust were welded up by Eva, who is

running the 200+mph electric sidecar.

We checked the ignition timing, re-set the clutch, and cleaned off all

the encrusted salt.

In the morning we need to get a few last washers and pieces from the

local hardware store, and get an exhaust bracket welded. That will mean

we can't get out as early as we would like, but we will do our best.

We lined up at the pre-staging area for our first run around 9am, but

just missed a batch and had to wait while the Run-what-you-brung (RWB)

bikes ran before we moved up to the Mile 0 start line.

At the line with us was the Salt Brothers team from Auckland who had

also been at Speed Week.

After a further wait for reverse runners and a few of our group, we

finally got to start our first run about 12:20. We planned for Eric to

do a quiet run as a shake-down, as the class we were running (partially

streamlined fuel) had no existing record so two clean runs would

guarantee us a record.

The run did indeed go cleanly, with a speed of 110.454mph, a lot less

than what the bike is capable of. Running in the midday heat is not

ideal, and 10 or more mph can be gained by running first thing in the

morning.

We went to the impound area and had the engine sealed (incorrectly, as

it turned out) and went back to the Mile 5 mark to await a return run.

While there Alastair fortunately noticed that the end had come off the

clutch cable. Luckily for us there had been an accident on the course (a

rider had broken his collarbone) so we had some time to effect repairs.

After much running around we found a blowtorch and solder, and managed

to replace the nipple on the handle end of the cable. The return runners

with us had started their runs as we made last-minute adjustments to the

clutch to get the bike running again.

We got a run of 116mph, for a 113mph record.

When we caught up with the bike in impound the first thing we noticed

was that one of the exhausts had fallen off. Then we realised that

almost everything on the bike was loose.

Eric reported that he had got a massive vibration during the measured

mile and had backed off, and one of the marshalls arrived at the impound

area carrying the missing portion of our exhaust.

As Al and Mick stripped the bike down they found we were missing an

engine mount bolt, which we reported to the officials as it was probably

lying on the course somewhere.

We are not sure exactly what the sequence of events was that led to the

vibration and the engine coming loose, but possibly the broken engine

mount bolt then led to everything coming loose.

We managed to get a replacement mount bolt from an Indian runner who

had got his record and wasn't planning on doing any more running -

exactly the same diameter and length as we required.

The broken chain guard and exhaust were welded up by Eva, who is

running the 200+mph electric sidecar.

We checked the ignition timing, re-set the clutch, and cleaned off all

the encrusted salt.

In the morning we need to get a few last washers and pieces from the

local hardware store, and get an exhaust bracket welded. That will mean

we can't get out as early as we would like, but we will do our best.